Behaviour Based Safety (BBS)
If you are not familiar with Behaviour Based Safety (BBS), a quick search on the internet will give you a lot of information. For simplicity, let’s just say that BBS:
- Provides visibility and control over a key upstream indicator of safety performance, which is safe and at-risk behaviours.
- Uses simple but effective observation techniques.
- Is NOT about blaming the workers.
- Is about coworkers observing each other, identifying occurrences of safe and at-risk behaviours. Which is followed up with the observer giving constructive (one-on-one) feedback to reinforce safe work behaviours.
- Is about discussing alternatives for any observed at-risk behaviours.
[REF: Safety Performance Solutions]
The above is just a summary and it’s a fairly deep subject as you can imagine.
In 2017, I did a series of 5 interviews (shows) with Professor Scott Geller...the Pioneer of Behaviour Based Safety.
The shows were structured as follows:
- SHOW 1: What is Behaviour Based Safety (BBS) and what's the history?
- SHOW 2: The Paradigm Shift
- SHOW 3: Alignment
- SHOW 4: Evolution - What's next for BBS?
- SHOW 5: BBS and Actively Caring for People (AC4P)
Off we go...
SHOW 4: Evolution – What’s next for BBS?
Duration = 19 mins (approx)
We discuss “Evolution”
It’s great that we have discussed the Shift and Alignment, but change is inevitable as we know.
In this episode, Scott and I discuss what’s next for BBS from an evolutionary angle and in Scott’s opinion.
This interview was rather special in the sense that it was like asking a father “what do you want your child to be when it grows up”.
Professor Scott Geller – Short Bio
- The Psychology of Safety;
- Building Successful Safety Teams;
- Beyond Safety Accountability: How to Increase Personal Responsibility;
- The Psychology of Safety Handbook; Keys to Behavior Based Safety from Safety Performance Solutions;
- People-Based Safety: The Source;
- Actively Caring for People’s Safety;
- Actively Caring for People; and
- 50 Lessons to Enrich Your Life (The Book in Show 5)