Safety and risk performance reviews play a key role in continuous improvement.
Whilst not limited and not in any particular order, when it’s time for a safety and risk performance review within your Organisation, here are 10 aspects that you may want to take into consideration.
- Is there is a positive attitude, culture and approach regarding safety management performance and efficiency related issues?
- Are Key Performance Indicators (KPI) defined, implemented, established, collected, regularly reviewed and managed.
- Are performance expectations clearly defined based on KPI and resources assigned for achieving them.
- Do incident investigations focus on system failures and not just human error, procedures etc.
- Are regular physical inspections (in field) reviews conducted either as general reconnaissance or leadership site visits.
- Are work related activities (e.g., task based risk assessment) and their reviews carried out and are they timely.
- Are risk and safety management meetings held regularly and is there clarity regarding purpose, vision, mission and agenda.
- Have chain of custody aspects been clearly defined with regard to documentation, storage and retrieval.
- Is risk ownership and accountability clear and are everyone aware of their obligations and responsibility to ensure issues are resolved in a timely manner
- Have sufficient resources been allocated with regards to achieving objectives, goals and targets (i.e., financial, capital, people etc).
The above list is not exhaustive, however, based upon my experience getting a sense check on the above will certainly provide a snap shot into the Organisation’s approach for risk and safety management.
It’s also quite plausible, if you wanted to show pictorially, the results of the findings in the form of a heat map.
Other Similar Blogs and Vlogs that might interest you…
- How to Improve Process Safety Culture
- Corporate Culture and Peak Human Performance
- Things Are Still Going Wrong in Safety – Why?
- Safety Performance Improvement – what would be your advice?
- 10 Aspects to Take Into Consideration for Risk and Safety Performance Reviews
- The Mood Elevator with Dr Larry Senn